Summer is full of lemonade stands, fireflies, and picnics at the park. As the days get longer, the temperatures can climb dangerously high. Stay healthy and safe this summer with these
5 tips to help beat the heat this summer:
1. Stay hydrated: It is important to drink plenty of water during the summer because more water is lost through perspiration. Remember to drink before you feel thirsty and try to avoid drinking too much coffee, tea or alcohol because they tend dehydrate you.
2. Dress cool: Wear loose-fitting, light colored, natural fabrics to help stay cool. Light colors will help reflect the sun better than dark colors which absorb the sun.
3. Stay indoors: Spend time in an air-conditioned environment. If you do not have access at your home to air-conditioning consider visiting a mall, public library or movie theater to get out of the heat. Also, think about investing in a portable air-conditioning unit. These units are usually inexpensive and easy to use.
4. Avoid strenuous activity: Try to cut down on exercising or vigorous activity during peak hours of the day when it is hotter out. If these types of activities cannot be avoided, drink 2-4 glasses of water each hour. Sports drinks can also help to replace the salt and minerals lost through sweating.
5. Know your medications: Heat can affect the way you react to certain medications. Be sure to check with your doctor to see the affects that warmer temperatures can have on any of the medications that you take.
These simple tips can help you stay healthy and safe this summer. Interested in finding out more information about staying safe this summer? Call CareLinkTM for assistance at 513-766-3307.
Information adapted from the American Chiropractic Association and Help Guide.